If you've ever wanted to ask experienced adoptive and foster moms what they would recommend you do before bringing new children into your family, this episode is for you.
If you are in the midst of fostering or adopting, you'll get fresh ideas to help you as you parent and love your kids.
Today we're talking about 11 things you can do to prepare mentally, emotionally, and even spiritually for being an adoptive/foster parent.
The 11 Most Important Things You Need to Know
1. Take care of yourself and your marriage.
2. Have realistic expectations.
3. Understand what you can control - and what you can't.
4. Be flexible.
5. Educate yourself.
6. Define success appropriately.
7. Remember that what's normal for you may not be normal for your kids.
8. Be mindful that your kids' perception is their reality.
9. Embrace radical acceptance.
10. Understand your history and how it affects your parenting.
11. Remember it's a marathon and not a sprint.
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can:
And wisdom to know the difference.
Click here to download a transcript for this episode.
Links Relevant to this episode:
The Connected Child * by Karyn Purvis
*This is an affiliate link. Thanks for supporting our work!